Image Map

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Fun

I have been so neglectful of my sweet blog.  I just can't get over how busy Fall has been this year!  I do love Fall though! :)
It's football season, holiday season, time for bonfires, sweaters, scarves, boots, cool weather, changing leaves, and LOTS of friends and family! What's more to love?!
 
Okay.  Onto the post.  My ultimate "goal" here is to show some fun Halloween things that we've been doing and such.  Speaking of "goals" anyone else out there getting hounded with posting learning "goals" rather than "objectives" nonsense?  I know teachers in Florida have GOT to be dealing with this new iObservation/Marzano stuff.   It's all just kind've frustrating!
 
Okay. Seriously.  Onto Halloween fun:
 
It's this wreath TO DIE FOR?  My amazingly talented and crafty mother made it.  I fell and love with it immediately and she so generously GAVE it to me! I. LOVE. IT.  As you can see I took it to my classroom and now it's hanging outside on our classroom door.  The kiddos love it and giggle every time they see that witches adorableness! 
 
 **************************
 
We've been studying nocturnal animals and have spent the past two days learning about bats.  Before reading some of our nonfiction stories we began by discussing our schema.  I ***love*** using this "big kid" word with my little kiddos.  It's amazing how much they soak up!
Below is a picture of my "Schema File" that I created to use throughout the year in my classroom.  When it's closed it looks like a giant file folder.  
 {really annoyed with the HORRIFIC picture quality}
 
I first discussed what schema means and how it's like a giant file folder in your brain and that there are 1,000 of file folders on different topics.  Then we discussed how when someone states a topic name, like "bats," your brain opens its filing cabinet draw and pulls out the "bats" file folder.  The kiddos totally get it and have been using the word "schema" throughout the day! It's so neat!
Here's what the inside of our "Schema File Folder" looks like.  I like to use different colored sticky notes but you could just laminate and use an EXPO marker.  I also am updating this file folder to say "What I THINK I KNOW."  I decided that what we know might not be true and that it is a miconception. I think the wording might help the kiddos better grasp the meaning of misconception. 
 
**********************
 
Lastly, I created a bulletin board on bats after seeing the amazing Cara Carroll from The First Grade Parade.  I mean, I kinda just stole EXACTLY how she did it! It's just so DANG cute!!!!!
 

 
 Is anyone else super excited about Fall?!
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying to squeeze in some fun fall activities between common core and new evaluation systems too. Your bulletin board looks super cute. I absolutely adore that wreath!!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea for the "schema" file. I'm going to have to try that. The wreath is adorable!

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly - those bats are super cute! Love your blog design - the chevron stripes are so cute!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Post Post. This Post is very Informative.Keep it up in Future. Very Impressive post & really Liked your blog.Best of Luck & Cheers.
    Thanks Micheal
    http://long-island-divorce-lawyers.com

    ReplyDelete

I {puffy heart} comments!!!!